Aims & Objectives
IMPA represents the international community of pilots. We use the resources of our membership to promote effective safety outcomes in pilotage as an essential public service.
- The public interest is best served by a fully regulated and cohesive pilotage service free of commercial pressure.
- There is no substitute for the presence of a qualified pilot on the bridge.
- IMO is the prime authority in matters concerning safety of international shipping.
- All states should adopt a responsible approach based on proven safety strategies in establishing their own regulations, standards and procedures with respect to pilotage.
- Existing and emerging information technologies are capable of enhancing on-board decision making by the maritime pilot.
- We will always strive to provide leadership within the maritime community in all matters related to pilotage.
- We will constantly seek out the best available knowledge and information and make it available to our members in order to advance our profession and maintain its relevance to the modern world.
- We will continue to be recognized as the only global representative body for pilots.
- We will expand our membership to include every maritime nation in the world.
- We will continue to grow as a facilitator of communications between member organizations.
- We want all states to recognise IMPA as the international authority on pilotage matters, to give regard to our policies and resolutions and seek our expertise.
- We will continue to work towards improving the pilots safety environment to minimise personal injury.